Apologies for being MIA lately. Superwoman’s been quite busy the past few weeks— Dad’s 60th and Mother’s day, surgeries at the hospital, business and then there are the little events and extra curriculars here and there.
But yes, I’m back and today we talk about the hottest trend in every beauty junkie’s vocabulary at the moment —— the famous DRUNK BLUSH coupled with the au natural skin finish make up technique.
Nothing fancy, really. The term speaks for itself. They call this the DRUNK BLUSH since you’re supposed to look naturally flushed, as though you just came from a night of wine and/or margaritas with the girls.
Unbeknownst to many, this is a technique originating from the Japanese. They call it “Igari” which means “hangover blush”.
You know that look where your blush extends above the apple of your cheeks to a little below your lower lids going past your nose bridge? That’s the one.
Now let me start by saying that Superwoman’s no make up artist or expert here, but i do make my research and what I did learn the past couple of weeks, I’ll be sharing with all of you in this blog. No google-worthy terms, darlings. Just plain, simple, easy to follow ideas which I hope we can all make use of the moment we open our make up kits. Coz that’s how make up is supposed to be—- fun and easy.
So here we go.
For the past 2 weeks, I had the privilege of sitting in the make up chair of one of Cebu’s amazing make up artists, Scarlet Tumalon.
She is simply wonderful when it comes to au natural, light and flawless skin finish make up.
Remember when I said that I barely used foundation and that baby powder has always been my bestfriend? Well Scarlet knows how to make you look all made up minus the heavy feel. And that’s a big plus for me. No caking, no heavy falsies and fierce liners, just a whole lot of blushing and glowing.
Here are a few sample shots from the past week’s DRUNK BLUSH + SKIN FINISH make up:
Isn’t her work lovely? Yes it is. And I made sure to ask her all about it so that I may be able to share it with all of you.
Below are the products Scarlet used on me and some tips she left me with on how to achieve that beautiful, radiant, natural glow paired with the much talked about drunk blush:
- MAC Prep & Prime- After cleansing, toning and moisturizing, apply a good primer which evens out skin redness and skin tone while adding radiance. A good primer improves the laydown and application of foundation or powder, Scarlet explains.
Note: For this shoot, she decided to completely skip the foundation and simply went with a light and natural skin finish achieved mainly by primer and powder. Great skin helps to achieve this look and so, good skin care is key. (I’ll be talking about that in another blog post soon).
- MAC Strobe Cream – This product, when mixed with your primer or foundation, brightens the skin complete with an irridescent finish.
- The Ordinary Primer- This one reduces the appearance of pores, filling them in and masking other imperfections, Scarlet adds.
- Bobbi Brown BBU Palette- This is Scarlet’s go to all in one, multiple skin tone palette. It has a full range of correctors and creamy concealers.
- Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Finishing Powder- Who doesn’t know about this baby? It’s the holy grail of loose powders. Nuff said.
- NARS Orgasm blush- Any blush can help you achieve that perfect drunk blush look. The perfect shade depends on what suits your skin tone. I personally love Nars’ orgasm for as long as i can remember. And lately, Glossier’s Cloud paint in Haze And BLK’s Creamy Cheek Paint in Strawberry are tickling my drunk blush fancy too! (More about these in another post soon).
- BECCA highlighter- I personally love their highlighter in the shade Moonstone. It’s supposed to depict that romantic glow you get when light from a candle lit dinner touches your face, Scarlet shares.
- YSL Lip Tint- Lip stains are all the rage right now especially since summer is here and the weather is getting warmer and warmer. Lip stains give you that perfect lip color minus the heaviness and overly made up look of lipstick. Perfect for tropical countries such as ours.
- EYEBROW- Scarlet simply filled in my brows with an eyebrow pencil. She claims that skin finish techniques usually nix the “kilay on fleek” look complete with brow gels and brow mascaras. Inked brows are out and natural, messy but well groomed brows are in this season.
- EYELINER AND MASCARA- The more natural the look, the better.
Yay! And that’s it ladies. Scarlet Tumalon’s go to products revealed.
To sum things up, here are a few points to remember when going for the natural skin finish + drunk blush look:
a. Natural brows are best. Just fill them in and you’re good to go. Reserve brow gels and brow mascaras for nights when you need to up the glam-o-meter a bit.
b. Primer and Powder over Foundation. It’s all about skin. Let your birthday suit take center stage.
c. Powder, Liquid or Cream blushes- whatever works for you, go on and flaunt those gorgeous cheeks, darlings.
d. Lips- Go for the just bitten look and paint the town red while you’re at it, hot stuff.
Tips, Ideas and Techniques spoken about in this blog entry are simply written for the purpose of sharing what the writer has learned based on personal experience.
No product brands mentioned above sponsor this blog post.
Superwoman only recommends products which she has tried and tested and those of which she truly believes in. Nothing but the best for all of you, my darlings.
Always remember that it is not about what brand of make up you use on your face. It is mainly about finding the right product that works for you, your skin type and skin color.
The most expensive foundation which everyone deems perfect for any skin type may not always work for you.
Do not rely on reviews alone. Go and visit your nearest make up counters, do color matching, swatch those shadows, try on those lipsticks. In the end it is not a blog entry that will guide you to the perfect make up products that work well for you. It is YOU.
Far from any make up trend being endorsed at the moment, go for what works well on you and most importantly, what makes you look AND feel pretty inside and out.
Stay golden, beautiful dreamers!
To those asking, here are the contact details for both Scarlet and Cottonskies Photography:
•Scarlet Tumalon - (0939) 741 6515 @scarmakeup2164 on instagram
•CottonSkies Photography – (0925) 511 3388 @cottonskiesphoto on instagram
All my love,